O'Reilly Happenings at Macworld SFby Derrick Story
O'Reilly Media has a full slate of in-booth tech talks and plenty of new Mac and digital media titles to browse. Plus we have goodies, too! If you buy two or more titles at the booth, you get your choice of a canvas book bag or an O'Reilly t-shirt. And even if you're not in a buying mood, you can enter a drawing with the opportunity to win $500 in O'Reilly books.
Speaker's Line Up in the Booth
The O'Reilly Media booth is #2225. Book authors will be on hand to answer your questions or to sign purchases from the on-site store. There is also a full slate of demonstrations featuring Andy Hertzfeld, David Pogue, Derrick Story, Wil Wheaton, Leander Kahney, Owen Linzmayer, and many more. Talks are scheduled at the top of each hour while the Expo floor is open. You can stop by the booth to check the schedule for each day.
Here are some of the authors who will be presenting at least one talk during the show. I've included a few of their book titles to help you gauge their fields of expertise.
- James Duncan Davidson: Running Mac OS X Panther, Learning Cocoa with Objective-C, Cocoa in a Nutshell
- Adam Goldstein: AppleScript: The Missing Manual
- Rob Griffiths: Mac OS X Power Hound
- Andy Hertzfeld: Revolution in the Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
- Leander Kahney: Cult of Mac
- Owen Linzmayer: Apple Confidential, 2E
- David Pogue: Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition; iLife: The Missing Manual; GarageBand: The Missing Manual
- Hadley Stern: iPod & iTunes Hacks
- Derrick Story: Digital Photography Hacks; Digital Photography Pocket Guide, 2E; Digital Video Pocket Guide; iPhoto 4: The Missing Manual, 4E
- Chuck Toporek: Inside .Mac, Mac OS X Panther in a Nutshell, Mac OS X Panther Pocket Guide
- Wil Wheaton: Dancing Barefoot, Just a Geek
Expo floor hours are:
- Tuesday, January 11: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 12: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursday, January 13: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, January 14: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Expo show floor is a paradise for the Mac fan. After you're done playing with the new goodies in the Apple booth, come over to O'Reilly and spend some time in our bookstore.
Featured Books at the Show
Our publishing crew has been working overtime to get ready for this conference. We have plenty of featured titles (in addition to our extensive Mac catalog) that you'll want to peruse at the bookstore. Two of the areas that we're highlighting--"Mac-Specific" and "Digital Media"--are worth a visit alone. Here's a sampling of just a few of these featured titles:
- iBook Fan Book, by Derrick Story
- PowerBook Fan Book, by Derrick Story
- AppleScript: The Missing Manual, by Adam Goldstein--preorder your copy!
- Mac OS X Power Hound, 2E, by Rob Griffiths
- Modding Mac OS X, by Erica Sadun
- Adobe InDesign CS One-on-One, by Deke McClelland
- Adobe Photoshop CS One-on-One, by Deke McClelland
- iPod & iTunes Hacks, by Hadley Stern
- Photo Retouching with Photoshop: A Designer's Notebook, by Marie Laure CLEC'H
- GarageBand: The Missing Manual, by David Pogue
- iMovie 4 & iDVD: The Missing Manual, by David Pogue
All of our books will be discounted by 20 percent at the show. And of course, this is a great opportunity to have them signed by the author, too.
O'Reilly Authors Conference Sessions
O'Reilly authors are also part of the Macworld Conference faculty. Here are the sessions they will be leading.
Best of Mac OS X Hints
1/12/2005, 1:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Macworld Conference on Dreamweaver
1/10/2005 and 1/11/2005, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tom Negrino and Dori Smith
Mac OS X Unwired
1/13/2005, 3:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
The Technology Previously Known as Rendezvous
1/14/2005, 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Mac OS X Innovators Contest Winners Show Specials
This year's Mac OS X Innovator Contest award winners provide the Mac community with the best in independently produced software. We have the following show specials to introduce you those these innovative titles. You can take advantage of these specials today.
iDive by Aquafadas Software
Get the most of your DV footage with iDive, the unique exploration tool. iDive is to video what iPhoto is to digital photography. Not only can you upload video directly from your DV camcorder into iDive, but you can view it in truly innovative ways, organize it, and most importantly, find it again! iDive is compatible with both iMovie and Final Cut. iDive is your chance to discover the treasures hidden in your footage. At last, digital video management that works and leaves you free to concentrate on creativity. Dive in!
Show Special: Save $10 off the normal price.
Curio by Zengobi
Curio is Zengobi's environment for brainstorming and idea management that allows users to create freeform collages of text, outlines, checklists, multimedia, and external files. Curio's idea spaces can also include content dragged in from web browsers or from Sleuth, Curio's built-in Internet research assistant. In addition, users can sketch out their ideas with pressure-sensitive pens, and use the integrated dossier to help define project goals with customizable question-and-answer templates.
Show Special: Receive a free t-shirt with your paid order.
Nicecast by Rogue Amoeba
Nicecast puts you in the DJ booth of your own Internet radio stream. Broadcast to the world or just listen to your iTunes collection from any computer. No matter how you use it, Nicecast is easy and fun.
Internet radio: you know it's out there. You've listened to it inside of iTunes, or from one of the thousands of stations at shoutcast.com. But what kind of people run these stations? People like you! People all over the world DJ their own Internet radio stations right from their personal computers. Until now, this process was complex to set up, and difficult to maintain. But Nicecast gives you a complete Internet radio station with a few simple clicks. In no time at all, you'll be broadcasting to the world!
The few items on this page are just the highlights of what we're up to at Macworld. As you know, half the fun is just being there and discovering what happens next. I'm looking forward to visiting with you in the O'Reilly booth and in my sessions. See you there!
Derrick Story is the author of The Photoshop CS4 Companion for Photographers, The Digital Photography Companion, and Digital Photography Hacks, and coauthor of iPhoto: The Missing Manual, with David Pogue. You can follow him on Twitter or visit www.thedigitalstory.com.
Return to the Mac DevCenter